Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Magazine Junkie

I admit to being a magazine junkie.

Just like everything else in this economy, the magazine industry is struggling. This year two magazines (non-horsey) I've subscribed to for years have ceased publication. More and more people are getting their info off the Internet and not reading magazines. Yesterday I received a special notice from Sunset Magazine, one year for ten dollars. I've never seen Sunset so cheap. It's usually three times as much, which is why I let my subscription lapse. Now I'm going to renew. It appears they're trying to keep their readership and bring back their former subscribers.

I started thinking about the horse magazines that I enjoy. As horse people, I'd like to encourage all of you to subscribe to your favorite equine magazine rather than buy it off the grocery store shelf or borrow it from a friend. Not only is it much cheaper to subscribe, but it'll help ensure it continues to be published. Most magazines are offering subscriptions for $10 to $20 a year right now. That's less than the cost of one or two lunches. Or team with a friend and get a subscription together.

Here are a few horse magazines that I enjoy every month:
  • Practical Horseman--I've been subscribing to this one since 1980. Practical Horseman is one of the best magazines when it comes to accurate and in-depth articles on horse health, feeding, care, and how-to articles. It's primary geared toward English riders in dressage, jumping, and eventing. Currently a subscription costs about $19.95 per year.
  • Dressage Today--I've subscribed to DT since its inaugural issue. Obviously, the magazine's emphasis is on dressage with dressage-related health care and training tips, along with dressage news. Also $19.95 per year, though I've seen it for $9.99 at times.
  • Equus--I've subscribed off and on to this magazine over the years. It's dedicated to health, care, and feeding of horses. The articles are usually well-written and researched. It doesn't contain a lot of how-to articles on riding, but you'll find everything else inside its pages. Again $19.95, though I've seen it cheaper, also.
  • Horse and Rider--I haven't subscribed to this one in a while, but it's a western version of Practical Horseman with valuable training tips from popular western riders. Also $19.99 per year.
  • Western Horseman--I've read this magazine since I was a small child. It's chocked full of articles on western riding, horse care, and even the western lifestyle. This magazine is great reading with something for everyone. Subscriptions are $18.00 per year.

The first four magazines listed above happen to be published by the same publisher, who bought out several horse magazines years ago. There has been a deterioration in size and amount of original articles since that date, but I still believe they are good deals for your money.

Please tell us about your favorite magazines and any I've missed on this list that you enjoy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of Equus - great health information, and I also like John Lyons's Perfect Horse - although I don't use all of John's methods, I get good ideas and many of the practical horsekeeping articles are useful.

Cheryl Ann said...

I used to subscribe to several of those, but, you know, I just don't have the TIME anymore to read any of them! Besides, I can pick up old copies of some of them at the thrift shop for 10 cents each! I did enjoy Perfect Horse, but I think it's too pricey...so, now, I just go online and read up on whatever I want to read about!!!

Jami Davenport said...

Cheryl Ann, That brings up an interesting question I'd not thought of when I wrote this. Are paper magazines going to become obsolete in the next ten years?

Laura Crum said...

Jami--I'm like Cheryl Ann, I don't have time in my life to read magazines any more. And I do believe that paper magazines may become obsolete, as paper newspapers are currently headed. Is this good or bad? I honestly don't know. I don't read magazines or newspapers online either...takes time that I could be spending elsewhere (like with the critters or my kid or my garden). I do admit to hoping that real books won't become obsolete...I love books. I don't think online books can take the place of "real" books. However, some readers do write to me saying they want to buy my books online and do not want a physical book....one woman said she felt it helped save trees. So there's always more than one side to the question.

mulerider said...

I currently subscribe to Horse & Rider, but am not entirely happy with it. My interests are really too different from the target audience. I pick up the occasional Practical Horseman and Trail Rider at the feed store, but not often enough to justify subscribing.

Like Cheryl Ann and Laura, I just don't have enough time to read many magazines. That is why I let my subscriptions lapse for the two mule magazines I used to receive, "Mules and More" and "Western Mule."

However, I was buying some books at Amazon.com the other day and they offered me a 1-yr subscription to Southern Living for $5. (Yes, that's right: $5!) I couldn't resist.

On the subject of online books, I have read some books in that format and I don't hate it, but I still prefer to hold a real book in my hands.

The Art of Dressage said...

I have subscribed to several them. Equus is tops when it comes to health related information. I used to do combined training and I really found practical horseman good for that. Now my focus is more on dressage so Dressage Today is my choice.